Saturday 5 September 2009

Born 1Malaysian

2009/08/19
By Nurul Nadiah Nordin, 15, Kuantan
LIKE everyone who has heard of it knows, 1Malaysia is an effort by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak to unite the various races in Malaysia.
However, you may not know that I have already been living with 1Malaysia ever since I was born. You see, my father is Malay and my mother Chinese. This means I get exposed to the cultures of both races. First, let me tell you about the Malay culture I get exposed to. My family and I go on a balik kampung trip to Pekan, Pahang, every year to celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri. Most of my father’s extended family also come to celebrate at my paternal grandmother’s kampung house.
There’s frantic work in the kitchen as my mother and my aunts prepare and cook rendang for the big day. My grandmother weaves ketupat cases while my cousins and I fill them with rice. It’s fun, and we have rice grains all over us by the time we are done! The next morning we ask for forgiveness from our elders and receive the green duit raya packet from every aunt and uncle in the house and also from visitors. As for the Chinese culture, I experience most of it during Chinese New Year when my family and I visit my maternal grandparents’ house in Klang, Selangor. During the eve of Chinese New Year, everyone in my mother’s family will converge there for the reunion dinner. It is great fun as every family member chatters away, catching up on past and present happenings as we rarely meet otherwise. I always receive an ang pow from my grandmother the day after. I also celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival. My siblings and I light up paper lanterns and walk around the neighbourhood holding them. We also gobble up a lot of mooncakes during the festival! Coming from a mixed parentage background has definitely opened my eyes and enabled me to be open to other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment